Architectural Lecture Series
The Institute for Architectural Studies and Conservation was founded in 1999 as a volunteer committee of the PEI Museum and Heritage Foundation. Its mandate is to educate Islanders about the province’s architectural heritage. One of the many activities of the Institute is to offer an annual architectural lecture series.
2019 Lecture Series
This year’s theme is “Architectural Treasures Restored”.
Attend these important lectures and learn with us how architecture reflects who we truly are.
Join us Monday's at 7:00 PM Beaconsfield Carriage House
2 Kent Street (corner of West Street)
Admission is by donation.
Monday, 7 January
Province House Restoration: A Treasure Preserved
Greg Shaw, Parks Canada Project Leader for the Province House Conservation Project
Monday, 14 January
Glenaladale House: An Island Mansion In Transition
Mary J Gallant, chair Glenaladale Heritage Trust
Monday, 21 January
Victoria By The Sea: A Historic gem
Marly Anderson, Greg Anderson & Ben Smith dedicated supporters of village life and architecture
Monday, 28 January
Houle House: An award Winning Restoration
Angus Orford and Karen Rose, recipients of Charlottetown’s highest heritage honour, the Catherine G. Hennessey Award
2018 Lecture Series
The annual Architectural Lecture Series presented by the Institute for Architectural Studies & Conservation takes place every Monday at 7 pm in January.
2015 Lecture Series
The theme for 2015 is Bringing Heritage into the Future and the Institute has assembled a variety of specialists to explore stories of our connections with the Island’s built heritage.
2013 Architectural Lecture SeriesSaltwater Heitage: The History & Conservation of Our Coastal Architecture
January 7, 14, 21 and 28 at Carriage House, Beaconsfield Historic House.
Guest speakers are Harry Holman, Carol Livingstone & Josh Silver, Dr. Monica MacDonald and Boyde Beck.
Location: Carriage House, Beaconsfield Historic House
2012 Lecture Series: Spotlight on Streetscapes
- January 9 - Sally Blake Hooff - Princetown and Malpeque Streetscapes
- January 16 - Ian Scott - The Relationship between the Natural and Built Environment
- January 23 - Faye Pound - Summer Street, Summerside: Streetscape of an Emerging Town
- January 30 - Josh Silver - Heritage Retrofit Carpentry Program at Holland College
2011 Charlottetown Lecture Series
Queen’s Square , Charlottetown: Public Architecture and Landscape
- Reg Porter: “The Concept of a Planned Square”
- Jack Whytock: “Dimitri Dimakopoulos and the Architectural Style of the Confederation Centre of the Arts”
- James MacNutt: “Province House, Inside and Out”
- Linda Berko and Catherine Hennessey: “Cenotaphs and Monuments”
2011 Montague and Summerside
- Jack Whytock: “Scottish Church Architecture on the Island and the Rev. Donald MacDonald”
- Judy MacDonald: “A Love Affair with the Barachois Inn”
2011 Charlottetown Fundraiser Lecture Evening
- James MacNutt: “A Taste of Ukraine"